Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chapstick® Products Good To Go!


You might want to think about what you're putting on those chapped lips this winter; it might be something non-Halal. After all, in pre-med school I studied how animal fat is used to make stuff like soaps and cosmetics! So; owing to the love I have for Chapstick® Classic Cherry, I did some research to check if I am not putting pork or cow fat on my lips! Ughh!
Chapstick® company states that they do not use any animal products except for sheep's lanolin and bee's white wax. The bee, we know, does not pose any problems of Halal and Haram. Both honey and wax are Halal. Let's talk about the lanolin of sheep.

Lanolin is an oily liquid secreted by the sebaceous glands of a sheep.

What are sebaceous glands? 
Let me put my medical knowledge into application! They're these sacs under the deepest layers of skins that release different secretions. In us humans the sweat comes from the sebaceous glands and in sheep these glands secrete lanolin, subhaanAllah. The sheep is alive when the lanolin is collected so there is no issue of it being Halal or Haram.

Sources:
Chapstick® website FAQ's
http://www.chapstick.com/faq.aspx
Lanolin description on Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanolin

No comments:

Post a Comment