Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Few Square Feet

As I offered my Salaam at the end of the Maghrib prayer this evening and sat down to recite a few words of Tasbih (Glorification of God), I pondered over the reality of that moment. I compared how my prayer and its feel has changed over the past couple of years. Alhamdulillah, a wave of satisfaction washed over me. I thought of the few square feet of rug, the prayer mat, that I was sitting on and then the few square feet of the grave that I'd be buried in. These are the two only real places that we are supposed to think about and prepare for while we are alive because they form the foundation of our next life for us. 
The world is a very attractive illusion that offers all forms of fortune and entertainment. It seeks to pull us away from preparing for these two places that we are to remember always: prayer and the grave. Shopping, food, events, shows, and the big show that the world puts up blind us to the extent of forgetting that the real deal of being alive is to bow down to the One who gifted us all this to begin with.
We prepare, in fact over prepare, for the most common of worldly things: a dinner party, a job interview, an assignment, an exam, and even before receiving a phone call we brace ourselves to face it. The real preparation is that for offering one's prayer and to prepare for one's death. 
Preparing for prayer is underestimated to be only the performing of Wudu (ablution). You need to ask yourself, "Am I worthy of facing my Creator?" and the very answer would suffice to bring you down on your knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment